Re: Topband: OT - US Hams, WWV closure

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: OT - US Hams, WWV closure
From: K9FD <merv.k9fd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 14:31:15 -1000
NIST budget is 750 million,   the budget committee is increasing the years budget to
them by 125 million,    100 anniversary celebration coming,
I dont think there is any danger of them going off the air for some time.

Some folks have commented on WWV's
minuscule operating expense when compared to the total federal budget, but
the problem with that thinking is we have thousands of federal programs and
departmental budgets that also contribute just a tiny fraction to federal
expense.  Collectively, it adds up to a much larger figure.  No matter what
goes away, the impact is felt by someone.
I've heard Fed. Gov't burns through $6 Mil. every minute (maybe it's
every second).  In the time it took to read this far, Bam another $6
million.  Sure there are lots of dinky things the U.S. blows money on
and if no one defends them then they go away if they're up for a
defund.  NIST is sending up a trial balloon maybe?   Well, if there
are enough tech. trogs using WWV and we make enough noise, maybe this
dinky little program will get saved.  Let them cut funding for some
stupid study on why moss only grows in shade.   Bam, there went
another $6 million.  Don't know about all of you but I have a hell of
a lot of things to do besides mess around trying to set up my own
rubidium  doohicky because WWV went away.  Bam there went another $6
million.

73

Rob
K5UJ