Topband: OT - US Hams, WWV closure

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: OT - US Hams, WWV closure
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 09:33:24 -0700
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 22:49:49 -0400
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: OT - US Hams, WWV closure

<Several options:  (1) CHU is still operating on several HF frequencies that
reasonably cover North America; (2) In the U.S., AM broadcast stations are
required to maintain +/- 20 Hz carrier stability (73.1545).  However, nearly
all modern BC transmitters can easily meet 2 Hz, and some are now
phase-locked to a precision standard.

Most modern amateur gear covers the MW band.  One could sample several AMBC
stations, throw out the outliers, then calculate a geometric mean and attain
a very accurate reference. Incidentally, some legacy ham-band-only gear
never did cover WWV -- or if it did, it was received by a different band
mixing scheme, then a pre-selector is peaked for resonance.

In the shack, I use a GPSDO with a distribution amp that locks several
transceivers and some test equipment.  A surplus $100 USD rubidium standard
is Velcro-strapped to my HP frequency counter.  It comes up to temperature
and locks within 5 minutes of powering.  The accuracy of both devices far
exceeds my needs.

Paul, W9AC

##  After very  carefully aligning the .25 ppm  TCXO  in both my yaesu  MK-Vs...
using the 20 mhz  wwv,   I tuned across the entire AM 540-1710  khz  band,  and
only found
ONE station that was dead on freq, and that  was  CBC   on 690 khz,  in
Vancouver  BC.
The rest were   several hz too high..or  several hz too low.   Some were as
much as  20 hz off freq.

##  Even if you could find  just one  AM broadcaster that was dead on freq,
the  540-1710 band is
much too low to align a TCXO.   If  say you were off by 1 hz  at 1000 khz,
you would be off  10 hz
at 10 mhz..and  30 hz  at 30 mhz, etc.   And with no  high freq  WWV  to
compare to,  you would have no
clue as to which of the myriad of 540-1710 AM  broadcast stations  is  actually
anywhere close to being on freq.

##  CHU  broadcasts on just  3.33 mhz, 7.85 mhz..and  14.67 mhz.   All 3 are
pretty weak here on the west coast.
WWV  is instead used here on the west coast, as  CHU is  typ  too unreliable.
The price tag on all this surplus   GPSDO   / rubidium gear  will skyrocket if
and when  WWV  is shut down.
I can not see  WWVB being shut down at all,  too many consumer devices  rely on
it.

Jim   VE7RF