Re: Topband: Radial Wire

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Radial Wire
From: Roger Parsons via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 00:09:50 +0000 (UTC)
Joel W5ZN wrote:

... low cost radial wire options got me thinking about WD1A. Anyone have any
experience with it as radial wire?? There are two wires that should pull apart
easily ...

I use WD1A wire mostly for (single direction) Beverages, but also as radials at
the ends of those antennas. In my experience it is excellent for both
applications BUT only if the two wires remain joined. If they are pulled apart
they seem to be self tangling! I think that the wire is actually a very clever
design - the two wires appear to have opposite twists - so it lays very flat
and straight.

(I know this is not the subject of the posts, but I would emphasise that WD1A
is horrible for bi-directional Beverages as the loss is excessive in the
transmission line mode.)

73 Roger
 VE3ZI