Re: Topband: Isolated F81 F Barrel Connector

To: "'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Isolated F81 F Barrel Connector
From: <lee@k7tjr.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 12:50:16 -0700
   Hello Paul and others. You are quite correct as there is common mode
protection on all of those Hi-Z 8 circle antenna input lines. One problem
with 8 element arrays is that there is a significant problem of common mode
due for one thing the long length of the element connecting cables.
Personally I would not recommend using an isolated barrel connector to a
metal panel as you suggest. I think the capacitance to ground and to the
other elements as a result might decrease the common mode rejection. I think
it would be better if you could make a small panel for all 8 connectors of
single sided circuit board to fit into your aluminum plate. Then remove any
copper around the use of more common type barrel connectors for a through
connection.
 The fewer connections inline will be better so I don't recommend using
different series adapters. Not only is the extremely low signal levels on
these lines but there is also 13.8 VDC at 40 ma. The fewer connections the
better to limit any possible micro arcing on these low signal lines.
   P.S. Do not use cheap Chinese barrel connectors or you WILL have a
problem with connection. Experience speaking.

Lee   K7TJR
Hi-Z Antennas