Re: Topband: Radial length

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Radial length
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 18:47:59 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Buzz,

This topic has been examined in detail over the years, such as:

http://www.w0btu.com/Optimum_number_of_ground_radials_vs_radial_length.html

http://ncjweb.com/bonus-content/k3lcmaxgainradials.pdf

Do you know how many radials you might eventually install?
Most of us stop at about 60 radials, but some stations have many more.
Beyond 60 radials you're at the point of diminishing returns,

Since you already have 30 radials, all more than 1/8 wavelength long I
suggest that you cut your 1500 feet of new wire into fifteen 100 foot
lengths and install them. Lengths more that 100 feet aren't very helpful
unless you plan to install more than 60 radials eventually

73
Frank
W3LPL