Re: Topband: ARRL DXCC - 160 Meters - Station Location and Boundary

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL DXCC - 160 Meters - Station Location and Boundary
From: GEORGE WALLNER <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 09:26:51 -0500
Dear TopBanders,

I think the League's rules have not caught up with the digital age.

Four things have changed since the "analog age":
1. Noise is up
2. 160 meter DXCC (and up) is one of the last remaining HF DX challenges
3. Shared low-noise RX sites have become easy to build and for many may be the only hope for 160 m DX 4. Remote operation has become quite common (more then we think), but its not all the same

There are two kinds of remote operations:
A) A Ham has his remote station within the same region or country and operates through that
B) Somebody uses a remote station to gain a favorable position for a DX.
A) and B) are very different animals. For A), the station address should be the remote site: i.e. not the radio is remote, but the operator. B) should not be allowed for DXCC credits (but play with it all you want as long you ID correctly) The current rules make little sense: Not a precise analog, but it is like a target range where you were not allowed to use a scope, but you could walk up to the target and put the muzzle against the bulls-eye. And get credit for it!

My 1.9 cents worth...

George
AA7JV/C6AGU

On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 17:44:31 +0000 (UTC)