Re: Topband: Inverted L improvements - Part 3 (now with data)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L improvements - Part 3 (now with data)
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 17:45:19 -0500 (EST)
Hi Todd,

In my opinion you're giving up too easily on your tall antenna.
I suggest that you focus more on evaluating its on-the-air performance ,
and not focus as intently its feed point impedance and VSWR bandwidth.

I hope you've been measuring the impedance and bandwidth
of your tall antenna with your 43 foot vertical disconnecte d from
its both its 160 meter matching components and its feed line,
otherwise it will interact very strongly with your tall antenna.

Very few of us have the opportunity to install our 160 meter
antennas a thousand feet or more from other antennas and tall
towers. As a result, the feed point impedance and other characteristics
of our antennas can't possibly match theoretical values. Nonetheless,
we enjoy our imperfect antennas with their imperfect soil conditions.

I hope you'll enjoy yours too.

73
Frank
W3LPL