Re: Topband: XR0ZRC?

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: XR0ZRC?
From: W7RH <midnight18@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 19:37:38 +0000
IMHO. Not just one but several Dxpeditions recently have had what seems like vacation style operating while promoted as full time full efforts. Some from hotels and resorts and some from less comfortable environments but subject to big city noise. With the decrease in solar activity you would think a little more low band effort would be in order.  I don't think FT8 is the answer for them either. If they can't hear on CW their noise floor will be an issue in FT8 mode too. I'm sure someone will argue that point but if you can't work at least --18 then forget it.

The XR0ZRC ops had a decent signal to the SW the last two evenings which was really their first major show on CW. I was able to copy them for more than 2 hours each night until giving up.

My thought is if you are going to run a KW and carry one along, then it would only make sense they carry some wire, coax and transformers in a bag as well. Shoot, even a K9AY could be carried in 3ft travel bag. While we can't make up for TS QRN man made noise is another and sometimes challenging issue. IMHO

RX first....TX second....

73 bob, W7RH

--
W7RH DM35os

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our
humanity." - Albert Einstein