Re: Topband: Which RX antenna is better?

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Which RX antenna is better?
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 12:12:40 -0400
David,

Diversity is an interesting feature. I
found even a mostly horizontal long wire
to the sub Rx was an asset with diversity.
With the two HI-Z systems & dual Rx K3s, I
have three antennas to work with for
diversity; Main, tri & circle 8.

I know you mentioned using flags, if you
by chance go the HI-Z (active Rx antenna)
route, they are about 23' high and I spray
painted mine black, just to keep people on
the hiking trail next to me, oblivious to
my antennas. In the woods they are
essentially invisible.

Usually it is the 3 & 8 I am using and
when I use them, I first do not use
diversity; I adjust the 8 which is the Rx
ant switched in as main Rx, to find the
strongest desired signal. I then switch
out the Rx just to see if it is the rare
time the sloper hears best. 99% of the
time I go back to the 8.

Then I turn on diversity and adjust the 3
for the best perceived signal in
diversity.

All of my antennas are in a poor location,
many tall trees around them and the Tx
antennas are too close to all the RX
antennas, so the expected direction is
unreliable and I have to hunt for the best
signal each time.

There is an optional encoder available by
HI-Z which has no detent as a switch does,
and the display does show direction, but I
really only listen for the best peak or
the best null, whatever I'm looking for.
Not having to keep reversing direction to
find the best signal is a wonderful thing.

Whatever you use, you'll have fun.

73,

Gary
KA1J