Re: Topband: Which RX antenna is better?

Subject: Re: Topband: Which RX antenna is better?
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 09:57:13 -0400
Hi,

I am on a small lot now and have barely been able to get signal out on 160
meters. A full size antenna for 80 meters won't really fit without some
"crunching". I am ever going to be a world beater on either of those bands but
I do get to play. On a couple of other mail reflectors we all agree that *any*
antenna is better than a radio sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

73,

Bill KU8H

Bark less - wag more

> On Jul 30, 2019, at 11:00 PM, w5zn@w5zn.org wrote:
>
> I always enjoy reading the experience that folks have with their receiving
> antennas. The RDF and comparison charts that are published these days are
> pretty accurate so you can get a very good feel for how the antennas stand up
> against each other.
>
> When it comes to the question of "Which RX Antenna is Better" that's a whole
> different ballgame with many, many variables! Obviously the amount of area
> you have to erect an RX antenna will factor in a good bit on your success.
> I'm fortunate to have a lot of land that I can play on with several different
> RX antenna types. Even so, an RX antenna that works great at my QTH may not
> work worth a flip at yours. I've always strayed away from comparing antennas
> between two different geographical areas, even those that are relatively
> close to me (within 250 miles or so). One key factor that isn't mentioned
> much when comparing RX antennas is the impact of propagation on 160 meters. I
> always like to compare what is being heard at Dave W0FLS up north of me by
> around 400 miles or so and at K5RK down the opposite direction by about the
> same distance. Heck, even close by with K5UR 25 miles south of me and WD5R
> the same distance north we hear different results some times! Go figure, or
> ask K9LA ab
 out 160 meter prop!