Re: Topband: Hairpin match to inverted L?

To: N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Hairpin match to inverted L?
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2019 18:40:04 -0400
Pete, broadly in matching theory, a series-capacitor match can often be
replaced with a series L and shunt C to ground.

Often the topology will be chosen on component value reasonableness and
convenience of what's grounded where. Other times you might have a strong
preference for a matching network with hi-pass vs lo-pass characteristics.

In the specific case of my 160 transmit antenna, the series-capacitor
solution was some ridiculous value. And I found that series L with shunt C
had more workable component values with the added advantage that a regular
old air variable could be used for the C and tuned to accommodate large
QSY's from top to bottom of the 160M band.

OTOH if you have vacuum variables laying around you may find that a more
convenient solution for you.

Tim N3QE