Topband: Hairpin match to inverted L?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Hairpin match to inverted L?
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 08:55:25 -0500
A hairpin works great on non-OWA Yagi's so why not use it on a vertical? I used a THHN primitively made hairpin coil on my P40A 160m vertical and it really made the transmitter happy. You will have to shorten the vertical length slightly after adding the hairpin. DX Engineering makes a match but I have no experience with it: https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-vmn-1

John KK9A

N4ZR wrote:

The other day a ham friend suggested using a coil ("hairpin") to match
the low impedance of a well-radialed inverted L to 50-ohm coax.  This
struck me as a potentially-attractive alternative to a series vacuum
capacitor, but I don't know enough to evaluate it. Thoughts?

--

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network