Re: Topband: CQ WW Contest

To: Roger Kennedy <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ WW Contest
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 22:10:30 -0500
Hi Roger,

Just want to be sure we are both talking about the weekend of 25, 26
January, 2020, the weekend of the 2020 CQ 160 CW contest. If so, I must
register my decidedly firm impression that was the best 160 meter weekend of
my lifetime, what has to be a counterpoint of the amazing 1958 sunspot
maximum.

In the contest I worked 1349 stations including 339 10 pointers (almost all
the 10 pointers were European), let's just say 300+ European stations. In
all of that I worked a 160 meter worked all states (48 CONUS + AK & HI),
plus 9 Canadian provinces, 78 countries ("country" per the contest rules).
That was a claimed score from the southeast USA (decidedly not the
EU-advantaged northeast US) of 752,780.

It was, by an enormous margin, my personal lifetime best for any 160 meter
contest. The antenna did work very well, but, seriously, could not possibly
have accounted for that bump up, nor for sure could my personal operating
skills.

Just think we need to leave room for the idea that maybe the band was a bit
better than "open".

Station here K3 + KPA1500, Inverted L over FCP, no RX antennas (working on
that), NOT a superstation.

Wowser, I wonder if we'll get that again before the sunspots start in
again. I can hope.

73, Guy K2AV