Re: Topband: CQ WW Contest

To: Clive GM3POI <clive@gm3poi.com>, "'Guy Olinger K2AV'" <k2av.guy@gmail.com>, "'Roger Kennedy'" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ WW Contest
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 16:10:41 +0000
I think a lot depends on where you were located.  I am in southern Maine about 30 miles from salt water. I did a fair amount of listening for DX stations. I did not call CQ except for two brief periods late at night. My impression was that signals were not as good as many recent nights that I would call "excellent". Many big stations that are 599 on my K3 S meter on good evenings were hovering around S5 or maybe a bit better. Other stations that are normally good, were drifting down into my noise level with QSB.  I also noted that many EU stations did not answer me when  I called. After 5 or 6 tries, I would press ALT-W and go on up the band.  That could be the high QRM level in Europe as well as conditions. I just had the feeling that i was weak on the path to Europe. It happened all the time.  In my listening, I heard many stations farther south (W4 & W5) calling stations and I was surprised that they could hear them at all, seeing how weak they were here.  I began to think that something broke here!  K1DG was on in Maine from his island in the middle of salt water, and he seemed to do very well. I don't know what to say as I do not have the experience to adequately explain what happened.  Maybe if I called CQ for more than 45 minutes total I would have a different feel for how condx were. My take is that absorption can be quite variable over a fairly narrow geographical area, say a few hundred miles.

Dave K1WHS