Re: Topband: Slightly OT - amplifier noise

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Slightly OT - amplifier noise
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 11:45:57 -0700

On 3/14/2020 4:07 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

Another good advantage to the electronic schemes is that you don't have to go outside to rotate them when the noise that's bothering you is coming from a different direction.

73, Jim

That is an interesting idea.

I have been trying to figure out how I could phase two verticals
so as to have a null(s) with steerable azimuth, but I'm stumped.
Using EZNEC modeling two 30 foot monopoles 70 feet apart, I can
drive them 180° out of phase and get a figure 8 pattern like
a broadside loop.  I can drive them 135° out of phase and get
a cardioid pattern that doesn't have a sharp null, but rather
rejects everything off the back of the array.  Other angles
produce variations on these patterns, but not a steerable
null.

I could imagine that an array of 3 or 4 or 6 antennas in a circle
might produce steerable nulls.

Am I missing something?

73
Rick N6RK