Re: Topband: Rohn 25 Vertical questions.

To: "'Ron WV4P'" <wv4ptn@gmail.com>, "'160'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Rohn 25 Vertical questions.
From: "Tim Duffy" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 14:32:11 -0400
Hello Ron:

I have a base insulated 120 foot tower that acts as the driven element in my
3 element vertical Yagi antenna (switchable in 4 directions). See the ON4UN
Low band book for details (last 3 editions). AA1K, VE3EJ and others have
this antenna too. My tower is a solid leg tower so I used JetLube SS30 at
each tower junction and the there is a welded solid #2 wire going between
each leg junction (all 3 legs) at each section junction. This is what is
done in AM broadcast installations. You may not be able to weld (I used
Cadweld) to the small pipe (hollow) legs on Rohn 25. I would consult with
Rohn and a professional welder.

I do not like having just a thimble that the preform sits in going to the
guy bracket. It is a good mechanical connection however it may cause noise
as it is not firmly bonded and there is 3 feet of preform on this. I use the
bent pin shackle with a D504 insulator - then the Phillystran preform.

Operation here has been flawless.

Be safe

73
Tim K3LR