Re: Topband: Rohn 25 Vertical questions.

To: Ron WV4P <wv4ptn@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Rohn 25 Vertical questions.
From: w5zn@w5zn.org
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 15:43:25 -0600
Ron,

When you start preparing for phase 2, here are some notes on my installation presented at the 2018 Dayton Antenna Forum that is linked from Tim's K3LR website that should be a good reference in addition to Tim's excellent data contained in the "Low Band DXing Handbook":

https://www.kkn.net/dayton2018/2018_Dayton_Antenna_Forum-160_meter_TX_Array.pdf

My driven element is Rohn 25. It has been in use as a 160 meter TX antenna (originally as a shunt fed tower) for almost 25 years. I initially did not have any connection across the joints however after several years I became concerned there may be an issue, no particular reason or data to suggest such other than a "gut" feeling. My solution was to run a #4 wire from the top joint all the way down to the bottom joint on each leg, a "parallel" run across all the joints. I have no data to suggest an improvement was made other than to my comfort level!

GL with the project and GL this winter!

73 Joel W5ZN