Re: Topband: Vertical choke needed?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical choke needed?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 01:19:38 -0800
On 12/31/2020 5:01 PM, Michael Walker wrote:
Hi Ken

Chokes at both ends of the feed line are always a good idea.

At the base of the antenna, yes, so that the feedline doesn't become a radial. More are probably wasted money. See my latest Cookbook at k9yc.com/publish.htm

I have a similar setup to you but with elevated radials and I have Mix 31
chokes right at the base of the antenna with an UNUN since I am using 75 ohm
coax and then more chokes at the antenna switch.

You can’t use enough chokes.

The only good reasons I've discovered for using chokes on feedlines anywhere but at the feedpoint are 1) to break up the feedline into lengths that won't be parasitic becoming parasitic elements to other verticals; and 2) to prevent noise pickup by a mechanism quantified as the Transfer Impedance of the cable, whereby shield current is converted to a differential voltage inside the cable.

W3LPL has observed that #2 should not be an issue with coax laying on the ground. I am not so optimistic with the CATV RG6 we often use for RX antennas, whose shields are VERY flimsy at MF, but I always value Frank's observations.

As to chokes at the station -- if they solve problems, they're putting a band-aid on badly done (or missing) grounding and bonding. See N0AX's ARRL book on the topic, and/or the slide deck for my talks about it.

http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf

73, Jim K9YC