Re: Topband: Vertical choke needed?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical choke needed?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 13:28:52 -0800
On 1/1/2021 12:09 PM, Mike Waters wrote:
I am ONE of the people who claim that four elevated radials can have
approximately the same efficiency as 120 buried quarter wavelength radials.

N6LF's work on this showed that imbalance of the current in elevated radials can significantly reduce field strength. Imbalance can be caused by differences in heights, lengths, and soil underneath them. Depending on our real estate, hams may find it difficult or impractical to install elevated radials having the symmetry of a broadcast station. Rudy has published work showing that 8 elevated radials are better than 4 for this reason.

73, Jim K9YC