Re: Topband: Phased Short Beverages

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Phased Short Beverages
From: donovanf@erols.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 13:17:51 -0500 (EST)
Hi Fred,

A single 300 foot Beverage has excellent front-to-back ratio but
very broad 150 degree 3 dB beamwidth on 160 meters,

A 580 foot Beverage has approximately 80 degree 3 dB beamwidth,
and it works very well on 160, 80 and 40 meters, one of the
reasons why that length is so popular.

Two broadside phased 300 foot Beverages have 160 meter performance
similar to a single 580 foot Beverage, but the required broadside
spacing is at least 300 feet, preferably 350 feet.

A pair of staggered Beverages occupies 430 feet. Staggered Beverages
only improve front-to-back ratio, they are especially effective when
used in conjunction with a DX Engineering NCC-2 controller.
If you installed a single 430 foot Beverage your front-to back
ratio is still excellent and the 3 dB beamwidth is reduced to about
120 degrees.

Have you considered a Hi-Z (or a homebrew) 4-square receiving array
with four short active or passive verticals? Its performance is similar
to a 580 foot Beverage on only an 80 x 80 foot space and far superior
to simple single loops.

You can improve the broad 3 dB beamwidth of any small loop by
broadside phasing of two loops, but the required broadside spacing
is 300 feet, preferably 350 feet.

73
Frank
W3LPL