Re: Topband: CQ Zones

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ Zones
From: Preston Smith <n6ss@email.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 19:56:40 +0100
Note: Below I refer to the various modes developed by K1JT
and his team as JT modes.

Yes the JT modes should have their own categories for awards
and NOT be mixed with traditional modes. Reason being that
all the JT modes (FT4/8, JT65, JT9, FST4 and others) are
unlike traditional modes. In traditional modes (CW, SSB, RTTY,
Pactor, Amtor etc) the operator or machine must actually copy
the call sign of the station being worked.  In the JT modes
with weak signals the program copies a portion of the call
and completes the call by comparing the partial call to a
call sign data base.

In JTDX that call sign data base file ALLCALL7 presently
contains more than 93,000 calls and is periodically increasing.
WSJTx has a similar call sign data base.

A curious op could copy the data base file, rename it, and
delete all but a few calls in the original. Then see how
well the JT modes copy weak signals. My hunch is they wouldn't
copy much better than a good CW op but that is TBD.

The transition from AM to SSB was quite different in that
the two modes were identical in what they achieved, two way
chatter back and forth between operators. It was clear that
SSB would prevail. That useless carrier had to go.

All that being stated this op has worked JT65, FT8 and now
FST4 almost exclusively outside of contests for ~2 years.
That's where the action is for better or worse.

73 back to 28074
Pres, N6SS