Re: Topband: 43’ 80 Meter Vertical

To: "'Chortek, Robert L.'" <Robert.Chortek@berliner.com>, "'TopBand List'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 43’ 80 Meter Vertical
From: <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 22:37:16 +0200
Bob,

WARNING:  DO NOT USE 16 GAUGE FOR THE TOP HAT WIRES.

The top of the pole is very thin and will not support such heavy wire.

The top hat wires carry very little current and all you need is very thin wire
(i.e., 26 AWG works perfectly well and that is what Spiderbeam uses in their
vertical kits).

You may use THE WIREMAN “CQ-534” or “PolyStealth-26” for this.

If you absolutely must, then you may also use “PolyStealth-22” but DO NOT USE
ANYTHING THICKER!

On my private web site you will find instructions (with lengths meters and ft.)
for building an Inv.-L similar to what you are trying to do.  The single wire
slopes down.

If you add a second wire, the length will need to be shortened slightly.
You’ll have to use trial and error to find the correct length, but the wires
are so long, they can be accessed from the ground without lowering the pole.

See:  https://www.dj0ip.de/vertical-antennas/160m-inv-l-on-12m-pole/

BTW, I am the founder of Spiderbeam-US (2008) and have been the Tech Support
Manager at Spiderbeam in Germany for the past 10 years.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP

(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)

May the Sunspots be with Us!