Re: Topband: Small Loop does not receive weak signal on 160m BOUVET RX S

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Small Loop does not receive weak signal on 160m BOUVET RX S
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 15:10:58 -0700
From the article, "Kare also used a WOCD Battlecreek Special antenna for 40, 80 and 160 meters"

FWIW, I worked my first 65 countries on 160 using 500W and an inverted-vee dipole, 45 feet high at the apex with the ends head high tied off to Saguaro cactii. (TX and RX).

Actually, my first DX QSO on 160 was in 1959 when I was still in high school.  I had a Heathkit DX-100 and a BC-342 RX.  Something went amiss in the gear train of the BC-342 so I couldn't tune it. I had a tube-type car radio that I put into service by retuning the tuning slugs to hit 160 and retuning the (standard for car radio) 262 kHz i-f to 250 kHz.  I built a 250 kHz crystal oscillator and used it as the BFO.  It wasn't connected to the radio but simply radiated.  I adjusted the coupling by moving the oscillator with respect to the receiver.  The antenna was just a wire plugged into the SO-239 on the DX-100 that ran out my bedroom window and up as high as I dared to climb into a tree.  Ground, if there was one escapes me.  My first, and last, QSO was with a VE7.  If I ever got a card, one of my ex-wives threw it away along with my logbook, so I can't claim it.

Wes N7WS