Topband: QRP on 160?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: QRP on 160?
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2024 23:00:56 +0100
As Tom just posted, we were limited to 10 watts Input on Top Band . . . and
certainly my early DX contacts were all running that.

But after a few years I realised that most 160m DXers were running a lot
more power . . . a couple of locals had Amps with a pair of 813s !

I never had anything that big . . . but I did start running about 100W
output back in the 70s.

As has been mentioned, the big problem these days is the high noise level
from all the dirty switch-mode power supplies. So to be honest, I am
unlikely to copy any DX station calling me unless you're running a Kilowatt
!

I operate 160m mobile, and it's really depressing driving around. There is a
general noise level of S7 everywhere . . . only when you get about 10 miles
from any town or power line does it drop to about S3 (very difficult to
achieve that in this country!) And driving down typical streets the noise
level often peaks S9+20dB !

I'm just lucky that - despite living on the edge of the city - OFCOM have
helped me track down various local noise sources . . . but I still have a
residual S7 noise level on all the low bands (in an SSB bandwidth)

Roger G3YRO