[TowerTalk] FALLING TOWER RADIUS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FALLING TOWER RADIUS
From: k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King)
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 09:47:00 -0500
>Tom K4KG writes:
>
>>Oh yes, there were NO safety loops around the equilizer plates.
>
>How would a safety loop have helped, given that the big bolt broke?
>What would the safety loop connect to? The typical safety loop
>goes through the guy wire ends, the turnbuckle shackles, and the EQ plate,
>behind the bolt...

I have often wondered about this too. My safety loops go between the turn
buckles, guywire ends, and through the little hole in the equilizer plate.
There is no other place to thread a safety wire. I have always worried what
a vandel with a crescent wrench could do to me by removing the main bolt.

I have just gotten an idea as I was writing this. How about using a Big Grip
around the shaft of the ground rod (if you have enough above the concrete)
below the EQ plate? The loop for the big grip could be pulled enough to the
side to also loop your safety loop through it. It might make it a lot harder
for a vandel to disconnect a full set of guys on your tower. Just an idea.

73, Richard
K5NA@BGA.COM
http://www.realtime.net/~k5na