[TowerTalk] FALLING TOWER RADIUS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FALLING TOWER RADIUS
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 05:18:43 -0700 (PDT)
>Tom K4KG writes:
>
>>Oh yes, there were NO safety loops around the equilizer plates.
>
>How would a safety loop have helped, given that the big bolt broke?
>What would the safety loop connect to? The typical safety loop
>goes through the guy wire ends, the turnbuckle shackles, and the EQ plate,
>behind the bolt...
>
>-Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com

I have to agree with Tony.  Besides that, the safety loops I have seen in
the Rohn books show fairly small cable and their function is to keep the
turnbuckles from unscrewing themselves.  If that big bolt actually failed,
what kind of safety loop would it take to hold up the tower?  Obviously,
something stronger than all the guys attached to that point combined . . .
I have never seen a safety loop like that described anywhere.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com