[TowerTalk] 45G top plates

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 45G top plates
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 10:05:27 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-05-06 07:41:20 EDT, w2up@bellatlantic.net (Barry
Kutner) writes:

> > I also think that putting the top set of guys at the tower
>  > top is the best place. It does make yagi installs a bit
>  > more of an effort, but it hasn't been a problem here.
>  >
>  Makes sense to me too, but that's not the way Rohn specifies it.
>  Anyone know why?

     I'm not sure if there is a real engineering reason but for 45G and 55G
wind loading specs, the figure on the charts is the NET capacity; Rohn has
already deducted 8.0 sq.ft. for a commercial antenna mount on the top of  the
tower.  The five feet above the guys allows the installation of this mount
and other appurtenances and antennas to be above the guys. If the guys were
at the top of the tower, it'd be a nightmare to install and service the mount
and antennas.

73,  Steve  K7LXC