[TowerTalk] PL-259/N-type Connector at the Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] PL-259/N-type Connector at the Antenna
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale Martin)
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 11:58:59 -0500
Well, I thought I had saved it, but looking through my folders,
I find I did not save a particularly interesting and informative
note on how to properly seal the coaxial cable connector joint
at an antenna.  Specifically, we (a couple of member of the
Johnson Space Center ARC) will be replacing the 2m repeater
antenna on the penthouse roof of the JSC administration bldg.
Probably on Thursday.

The antenna is a G7-144 with an N-type connector.
Do I need to seal it?
I say no.  The existing feed is not sealed in anyway and has
been that way for at least 10 years.  My first thought, if it did
need sealing, was to use good electrical tape (it was mentioned
and specifically referenced as 3m 4488 ??? in the missing note)
over some other type of sealer (similar to, but not the same as,
coax-seal, I think it said).

One of the other going up with me is mentioning some sort of
liquid tape. I have not seen it referenced at all on the tower reflector
(probably for good reason).  Anyone use it? Any negative comments
on it?

Thanks for any info....

Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org