[TowerTalk] caps for Rohn 25 top section

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] caps for Rohn 25 top section
From: af2c@pcfl.net (af2c@pcfl.net)
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:03:57 -0400
Hi Dave -

Your reasoning appears to be logical.  However, internal rusting may
actually be enhanced by using caps.

The air in the tower legs is heated during the daylight hours causing some
of the air to move through or past the rubber membrane.  At night, cooler
moist air is brought into the legs in the same manner.  There is a good
chance that water/moisture will accumulate in the legs of the tower after
some time and cause many problems...Especially during sudden freezes and thaws.

Let the tower breath!

Rohn 25G towers are made of good "stuff."  I can show you a 70ft Rohn 25G
tower that has been standing (guyed of course!) for over 25 years and there
is no sign of rust on the tower or any part of the tower.  The tower it high
on a hill in Northern Westchester county, NY.

The use of the plug on the top section may not be such a great idea either.
It too has to allow air to move through it.  A section of hose clamped to
the tower may change the resonant frequency of the unit to stop the
bothersome hum/whistle...Or teach it a tune that you like!

73,

Jay/AF2C