[TowerTalk] Smaller Towers on City Lots

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Smaller Towers on City Lots
From: bhorn@netcom.com (Bruce Horn)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 08:31:10 +0100
At 8:32 AM -0500 10/22/97, Lee Buller wrote:
>I for one, have a fair antenna system, but I am wondering what others are
>doing out there as well.

I live on a 50 x 125 ft lot in Los Angeles (a half-acre lot sounds like an
estate to me).

Here's the current antenna setup (all on one tower):

Tower: U.S. Tower HDX-589 with 18 feet of mast out of top
When fully cranked up:
105 ft - Force-12 C3XL tribander
100 ft - Force-12 EF-180 rotatable dipole
 90 ft - M2 3-el 40m yagi
 72 ft - Force-12 C3XL tribander

Previously, I had the following antennas on the tower:
105 ft - DX Engineering 15DX-6 6-el 15m monobander
102 ft - Force-12 40m rotatable dipole
 97 ft - DX Engineering 20DX-4 4-el 20m monobander
 93 ft - Force-12 30m rotatable dipole
 90 ft - DX Engineering LP-17 10m-17m log periodic
 89 ft - Apex of 80m delta loop

I'm still searching for a good solution for 160m. Lately I've been using a
balloon suspended vertical when I'm serious about a contest, but it would
be nice to have a permanent 160m antenna.

BTW, tower/antenna choices are complicated by the fact that the tower
extends through the branches of a large walnut tree in my back yard. The
top of the tree is at about 45 feet. Because of City of Los Angeles
restrictions, the tower spends most of its time in a lowered position.

Hope this helps some think about possibilities on small lots.

73 de Bruce, WA7BNM   (bhorn@netcom.com)