[TowerTalk] Re: Rotor Connector

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Rotor Connector
From: kb0onf@juno.com (david l hyman)
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 12:38:25 -0600
On Tue, Jan 27 Dale L. Martin writes:

>I have in my hands a package from C.A.T.S.   It is the "quik connect".
At some point in the past, I decided it would be beneficial to put a
connector on. My rotor just returned from Telex and looks brand new--from
the looks and length of the  parts replacement list, it is. Before I put
it up on the tower this weekend (or later this week if I can't stand it
anymore), what's the consensus of the group about
installing the connector?  Yea or Nay?

Well, Dale . . . my vote is a definite "Yea". I picked up a six sets of
CATS' quick connects at the Dayton Hamfest with the intent of using them
on my HamIV. They ARE a little dicey to install . . . and you MUST be
careful to follow instructions carefully . . . but it's well worth the
effort.

I also went one step further. Not only did I install the quick connects
at the rotor and the rotor control box . . . I installed a set on the
rotor cable at the BASE of my crankup tower. I did this because of the
way my tower is situated . . I have to rotate the beam to clear my
chimney and some trees if I want to tip the tower over to work on the
antenna. So I just bring the control box OUTSIDE . . . connect it up . .
. and I'm able to rotate the beam as I watch it from the base of the
tower. Never had a moment's problem with the quick connects.

I DON'T, however, like the Cinch-Jones disconnects that Hy-Gain uses. I
don't think that they have near the waterproof capability that CATS'
quick disconnects do.

73 de Dave KB0ONF

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]