[TowerTalk] Re: Rotor Connector

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Rotor Connector
From: harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 17:48:19 -0500 (EST)
Cinch-Jones plugs come in eight terminal versions and male and female and
chassis mount and in-line, and thus are very flexible in uses, HOWEVER, it
is difficult to water "proof" them for outdoor rotor cable joints, and
their terminals do form oxidation which will be a problem for conductivity
eventually.  Male pins are not recessed.  I have used these outside and
regretted it.
Molex-style plugs come in nine pin versions with the male version's pins
recessed for physical and electrical protection.  These are difficult to
change after the first install due to the way the pins are held inside the
insulating material and the pins are subject to oxidation.  Also, Molex
are more difficult to water "proof"  than below item.  I have a few of
these in my various rotor lines and will use different plugs in the
future.  No chassis mount versions and the white plastic is not UV proof.
Best is the eight-wire "trailer" type plug/socket unit.  The wires are
molded into the plug on the back side -- making them water proof-- and the
units are made for outdoor and rather hard use service (like on the rear
of an auto and trailer set-up)  are very well polarized and the male plug
can be put on the rotor side of the joint (to protect exposed hot
contacts), but one of the female pins is exposed when unplugged.  This
type of plug, however, does not come in chassis mount, only in-line.  It
is black and UV resistant.  The place where the male and female join can
be sealed or taped, but that is not necessary.
Only problem is making the splice from the female to the main rotor cable.
Best may be in-line crimp AND SOLDER butt splices covered with second
layer of insulation of heat shrink tubing.  Of course, the "rotor side" of
the connection simply takes the pig tail wires from the plug and connects
them directly to the rotor terminal strip.  I have two of these in service
for several years and they have exhibited not problems at all.
WIREMAN and Tower Tech sell them, at least.  de K4VUD