[TowerTalk] Inverted V = What??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Inverted V = What??
From: ddjones@nas.com (Dale Jones K5MM)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:32:55 -0500
 Del:
 Over the past many years, I've kept copies of "The ARRL
 Anenna Book".  The earliest one I have is 1954.  After thumbing
 through those books, it looks like both you and John-W0UN are
 right about what an "inverted V" is.

 Clearly the ARRL Antenna Book in 1955 (see pages 186-187)refers
 to an Inverted V as a 'half rhombic' and 'a tilted wire' antenna,
 but the more recent ARRL antenna books refer to an 'inverted V
 dipole'.  This 'inverted V dipole' is a normal 2-legged dipole
 with droopy wire legs...a 'droopy dipole'.  See ARRL Antenna
 Book for 1970, page 204.

 It seems to me as though the common usage nowadays, and for the
 past 25 years or so, of the words 'inverted V' refers to the
 so-called droopy dipole.  As far as I know, don't think I've
 ever worked anyone with a non-resonant rhombic, or tilted-V
 as it's also known.

 73
 Dale  K5MM