[TowerTalk] New Discussion Topic: Dipole secrets

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] New Discussion Topic: Dipole secrets
From: grimm@lynchburg.net (Kenneth D. Grimm)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 15:35:48 -0400
K7LXC wrote:

> In a message dated 98-04-28 09:16:18 EDT, harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu writes:
>
> > Well, sure MY dipole works great.... it is only located at the 3000 foot
> >  point on my 5000 foot tower and stretches on either end over to my 8000
> >  foot tower and my other 8000 foot tower.
> >  Of course, I am located over a salt water marsh and I use three-inch
> >  hardline to feed it.
>
>      More delusions of grandeur...
>
> Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC

Delusions, hell!  It is almost a carbon copy of my own installation.  Of
course mine works better, since K4VUD is too lazy to drain the SWR out
of his feedline each year the way I do.  I've discovered that most hams
would just rather let SWR accumulate in their feedlines until their
signals choke and their dipoles don't work any better than an ordinary
vertical.  Routine maintenance is very important to success with
dipoles!  Come to think of it, maybe K4VUD isn't lazy.  Maybe he just
doesn't have easy access to a bucket truck with a 3,000 foot snorkle the
way I do.  And I'll admit that turning that 3" hardline top over tail
isn't the easiest thing I've ever done!

--
Ken K4XL
grimm@lynchburg.net