[TowerTalk] Raising mast?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Raising mast?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 19:55:11 EDT
In a message dated 98-05-24 16:13:09 EDT, ka4inm@gte.net writes:

>   Plan #1:  Get the right gin pole to do the job before you, one with the
> capacity and a `rouster tail' (arm+pully) that will reach to the center of
> the thrust bearing.

    Hmm. I don't know of any commercially available ham-type (and affordable)
ginpoles for 25G/45G/55G that has a rooster-head that will reach to the center
of the tower. There ain't any. Good idea though.

>    Plan #2:  Improvise, set* two tower sections on the two faces that the
gin
> pole is not on, (I have never seen a gin pole on a leg, but I have heard of
> them) that are strong enough and strap a steel bar across them with a pully
> hanging between them, where one edge is over the center of the thrust
bearing
> and the other is free to travel down the center of the tower to a pully and
> out.

        Jeez, that's a lot of work just to make a ten minute pull of a big
mast. A pulley hung from a horizontal brace still works just fine and takes
approximate 15 seconds to install.

      Improvise!? You've got to be kidding. There are probably 2 dozen ham
tower climbers that I know that I would trust to be able to do what you're
describing safely with the proper hardward and technique. That leaves 699,976
hams that I wouldn't trust to tie a knot in the end of the haul rope. (My
apologies to those who can actually tie a bowline or figure 8 knot - you're in
the minority!)

>  * = lash with chokers or LOTS of hose bands, pulled tight.

      What's a "hose band"? Is that a hose clamp? Haven't heard it referred to
like that before.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC