Fwd: [TowerTalk] Disconnecting cables and lightning (questions --

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Fwd: [TowerTalk] Disconnecting cables and lightning (questions --
From: harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 17:51:39 -0400 (EDT)
Again I say, for the "regular, normal" ham (i.e., one who will just not
spend all that $$$ for lightning "arrestors", will not dig up his yard for
200 to 400 radials, will not put in 12 to 30 ground rods, will not have
cad-welds done, etc. etc), the single best advice about lightning is
DISCONNECT EVERYTHING.
The gentleman whose rigs were still in his automobile was really, really
safe.
I have eight connections to disconnect:  two coax lines to the remote
antenna switch boxes (one coax for each of two rigs), two control lines
for the two ant. switches, two rotor lines, the main AC feed to the rig
table, and the station ground.  For me in Florida, eight is enough,
and no trouble at all when I think of the alternative.
de K4VUD