[TowerTalk] Disconnecting cables and lightning (questions --

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Disconnecting cables and lightning (questions --
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 17:22:32 +0000
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date:          Wed, 03 Jun 1998 13:20:36 -0400 (EDT)
> From:          K7LXC@aol.com
> Subject:       Re: [TowerTalk] Disconnecting cables and lightning (questions
> --
> To:            dick.green@valley.net, towertalk@contesting.com

>      I have never seen in any credible literature relating to grounding
> systems where disconnecting anything is recommended. I think it's reaching
> 'old wife's tale' status. And don't forget that most of the people
> recommending it (hams) only have their anecdotal experiences to back it up.

Hi ho Steve,

Let me repeat what I think you are saying:

1.) Commercial stations can't afford to be off the air for any
amount of time.

2.) Commercial stations don't disconnect their antennas during
storms.

>From that you conclude commercial stations leave their antennas
connected, because it helps prevent lightning damage.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

As an past installer of broadcast and two way radio systems, I agree
with one and two above. I don't, however, agree with the theory
that they leave the antennas connected because it improves lightning
survival. That argument is a circular, because the very act of
disconnecting feedlines would put them right off the air...and we
agree they can't afford to have that happen!

On the other hand, I can disconnect my antennas *without* loss of
revenue and enjoy the additional protection it affords my equipment.
I do just that. i feel much safer with my equipment unplugged, and my
feedlines disconnected outside the house (I have a very large ground
system and the tower is a safe distance away).

Different restrictions and applications often call for different
solutions. Unlike simple mechanical cookbook cures, one shoe does not
fit all in this situation. The safest place for your equipment is NOT
attached to the tower, even if commercial stations that MUST remain
on the air can't afford to disconnect and go QRT.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com