[TowerTalk] Bees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bees
From: kd4wiw@ipass.net (Stephen Vinson)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 01:34:30 -0700
> A 5 year old boy was playing in a field next to some apartments
> in which some friends of mine lived.  They became aware of the
> situation when the 5-year old came by their apartment, screaming
> at the top of his lungs "Please save me.  Please don't let me die".
> He was covered by 300 or so Yellowjacket wasps that had attacked
> him when he fell into a hole in the ground 3 feet deep and in
> which Yellowjackets had made a nest, apparently, for many, many
> years.  The boy died.  My friends could not relate the story to
> me and my wife without tears coming to their eyes.

Not as uncommon an event as one might think.  Farming or rural areas
have this happen almost every year.  Thankfully most are not as tragic
... but the young (or small in statue) and elderly are very much in
danger in such attacks.

> If the hole existed in my yard, I would ignore the EPA and DNR
> regulations and place a gallon of gasoline over the hole, back
> off and shoot it with a .22 and throw a lit kitchen match on it
> and let them try to get out of that.  What the flames did not
> kill, I believe that the fumes would take care of.  The flames
> would assure that they couldn't get out of the hole while the
> fumes were taking care of them.....  those that tried would be
> fried.

A gallon of gasoline on a warm day in low to no wind can form a flash
over for 50' to 100' in just minutes.  A small amount (pint to quart) of
10 to 1 kerosene and gasoline will burn longer and with less
vaporization
spread.  Not as much lost yard and less danger to exposure.  Be careful
and have adequate water supply available.  Also a small road flare can
be used from farther away and safer as an ignition source.

Also after flames have died I always powder the ground white with
insecticide.  Two commonly used ones are Sevin Dust (spelling) or
Malathion (spelling).  What the flames don't get the poison will as they
return to the hive depths.
> As for the stings themselves, I've found nothing as quick to stop
> the pain as plain old household ammonia.  It neutralizes the
> formic acid which is what stings so badly.  It is virtually
> immediate relief.  Meat tenderizers and other potions suck by
> comparison.

GREAT treatment ... mope on for at least 5 - 10 minutes and keep skin
wet
as possible.  You can also use spirits of ammonia and it is eash to
carry on tower climbs.  As we all know towers attract bees and wasp more
than they do lightning.

Steve
KD4WIW
E-mail:   kd4wiw@ipass.net