[TowerTalk] Bees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bees
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (K4SB)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:30:46 -0700
Well, it's a slight variation on the current thread, but I'd like to add
a warning for a practice many of us do.

I usually carry a nice iced coke in the can when I'm out working in the
yard, or on the antennas. Most of the time, I would set it down in a
convenient place, and go take a sip when necessary or just taking a
break.

(Plot thickens ) Doing so one day and took a nice slug of the drink.
Almost immediately, I felt a quick, but sharp pain in my throat. My
immediate thought was the pop top had fallen into the can, but a look
quickly did away with that theory. So, back to work...except as the
minutes went by, I was aware I was having more and more difficulty
breathing. Took another good slug of coke to maybe wash down what was
in my throat. No help...By now, about 7 minutes have elapsed. In the
next 2 minutes, it went from difficulty to where I dropped the tools,
got in my truck and in messy work clothes and all, drove to a doctors
office right next to my dentist. Couldn't talk when I managed to stagger
in...Pointed to my throat, and 30 seconds later, the doctor was having
a look.30 seconds after that, I had a good shot of atropine, and was
beginning to be able to breathe again.

Short version, a bee or wasp had crawled into the can, and I swallowed
the sucker, but he gave me a nice parting sting right in the throat as
he passed by. Doctor said that area is especially sensitive because of
all the nearby major blood vessels. The protein in the venom caused an
exaggerated reaction.

I still take my coke with me, but I also take a wet cloth and cover that
top when I put it down.

73

Ed