[TowerTalk] Polyphaser question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Polyphaser question
From: aa0cy@nwrain.com (Bob Wanderer)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 19:19:35 -0700
Alpha Delta makes products of the type Joe's looking for, however, they
are totally dc-pass. Lynics makes these products as does MFJ, but again
they are dc-pass.

The models that I was talking about separate the dc and the RF into two
paths (diplexing). Each path is protected individually and then recombined.
Therefore the RF path is dc blocked. Most of the damaging energy of lightning
is at or near dc. Tests performed by disinterested thrid party independent labs
have shown the let through voltage and let through energy of the PolyPhasers
to be several orders of magnitude less than the competition, which are all dc
pass
designs. Poly's patent on the dc block expired last November, but just as with
Amoco
and unleaded gas, there's a learning curve to go through for the other
manufacturers
before they will have good dc block designs.

BTW, to the best of my knowledge, the model I discussed will pass 60 Hz ac as
well
as dc. However, you'll have to convert 30 Vdc to its ac equivalent. Right now
my brain
is too tired to do even this simple computation.

73,
Bob AA0CY