[TowerTalk] Switching Controls to Multiple rotors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Switching Controls to Multiple rotors
From: Chad_Kurszewski@csg.mot.com (WE9V Chad Kurszewski)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 13:00:08 -0500
>> The only system that I can
>> think of is a monster motor driven eight gang rotary band switch with
>> multiple positions which could be used to switch one control box to 4 or 5
>> different rotors.

Enough with the motor driven rotary switches.  How about stepping up to
a design solution from the 1970's or 80's?

Might I suggest a pair of 4 pole relays for each rotator??
One single pole rotary switch in the shack switches power to a pair
of those relays?

A look at the latest "All Electronics" catalog http://www.allcorp.com shows:
6VDC 4PDT relay, 5A contacts, 10 for $15.00  (enough for 5 rotators)
24VDC  "          "       " , 10 for $17.50

Add a 6VDC, 500mA wall transformer for $2.75 (2 6V relays will draw 307mA).
Add a small rotary switch in the shack:  1 pole 8 pos $1.75 (12 pos $2.00)

A cheap, small 6 conductor control cable could control 5 rotators (plus ground).

Controls for 5 rotators = $19.50 + wire + box(es)
Controls for 10 rotators= $34.75 + wire

How's that for cheap and simple?

---
Chad Kurszewski, WE9V                       e-mail:  WE9V@qth.com