[TowerTalk] Vines, guys and radials !

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vines, guys and radials !
From: k9ofg@juno.com (RICHARD L OWENS)
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 00:16:58 -0500
Come on you Georgian TowerTalkians!  Tell Jim about kudzu.

Jim, it's a vine with very large leaves brought over from Japan, if I
remember correctly, late in the last century.  It was supposed to be a
great erosion protector that was also an excellent fodder for cattle.

Well, the cows won't eat it, and it kills EVERYTHING it grows on.  I've
seen 50 foot pines killed by its smothering effects.  Horizontally, it
will spread right up to pavements.  It doesn't grow much north of the
Southern Tennessee line.  And we Hoosiers are glad for that.  In Georgia,
the first frost killed it each year.  But it always comes back.  I don't
know how far West it has spread.  We saw some in Louisiana this spring.
It is a situation very similar to what you described, Jim. (Could it be
one and the same??)  The Georgians I knew DID think it was contagious.

73, Richard

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998 18:48:15 -1000 "Jim Reid" <jreid@aloha.net> writes:

>>>Probably not a problem many of you have
>>>had to face,  unless you too live in the tropics,  hcontesting.comi.
>>
>>Or you live with kudzu!
>

>So what is  kudzu?  Sounds as if it is contagious,  hi.
>
>73,  Jim,  KH7M

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]