[TowerTalk] Vines, guys and radials !

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vines, guys and radials !
From: kz5qdx@communique.net (Douglas Bradford)
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:16:50 -0500
That Kudzu was brought exactly for that.  It does a terrific
Job on Erosion, Hillsides where roads were cut thru, they
put the kudzu and it stop the erosion dead  in its tracks. But
Like the man says, It is taking over every thing and does kill
timber.

  Now add to that the Water  Hyacinth  which has exploded
makes kudzu look like a century plant. in multiplying,  I know
how they have fought the kudzu and howa they fought the
Water Lily as they are sometimes called. Real Prety. 45 Years
ago, down in the lower part, you put a boat in the water and
take off. You could go anywhere. No lilys.  Today, entire
Bayou's and Canals are  blocked off. Plus with the Lily there
it slows the water down and now a lot of the Bayous
are filling with silt. Can not get a boat in many many places
now and I am Talking about a Piroe or Bateau

We have a losing battle with the Lily's.  So we got the Kudzu
which is fierce, and the Water Hyacinth both brought from
over seas.  Think that tells us too late.

The band 17 mtrs was great on the grayline Saturday Morning.
Looks like old times will be here before long.

Another week and I'll have Tower and Beam up . Sure will
be nice to be able to hear.

RICHARD L OWENS wrote:

> Come on you Georgian TowerTalkians!  Tell Jim about kudzu.
>
> Jim, it's a vine with very large leaves brought over from Japan, if I
> remember correctly, late in the last century.  It was supposed to be a
> great erosion protector that was also an excellent fodder for cattle.
>
> Well, the cows won't eat it, and it kills EVERYTHING it grows on.  I've
> seen 50 foot pines killed by its smothering effects.  Horizontally, it
> will spread right up to pavements.  It doesn't grow much north of the
> Southern Tennessee line.  And we Hoosiers are glad for that.  In Georgia,
> the first frost killed it each year.  But it always comes back.  I don't
> know how far West it has spread.  We saw some in Louisiana this spring.
> It is a situation very similar to what you described, Jim. (Could it be
> one and the same??)  The Georgians I knew DID think it was contagious.
>
> 73, Richard

> >>Or you live with kudzu!
> >

> >So what is  kudzu?  Sounds as if it is contagious,  hi.
> >
> >73,  Jim,  KH7M

> Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
>
> --

73  Brad  KZ5Q
Long  Live  CW
Preferred  Mode