[TowerTalk] Soldering Iron Problem's

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Soldering Iron Problem's
From: force12@interserv.com (force12@interserv.com)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:47:51 -0700 (PDT)
Good morning.

Adding to Weller-lore......

My all time favorite was the old D-440, dual heat, something like 240-325
watts.
When it passed on to wherever all good soldering irons go, I went out and
bought
the new one with the same model number. It was not rated as high, but the same
number. First time with it on a tower, repairing a PL-259, the thing wouldn't
heat up a gnat. I tightened the tip and all the things we usually do, got so
frustrated with it that it somehow fell out of my hand and ended up in the
trees. Went out and got another new one. Same problem. I worked on it several
times and it would sometimes heat fairly well; however, I was again on a tower
needing some serious heat and it was pathetic. It, too, fell out of my hand and
ended up in some trees. Went out and got number 3. Same problem - can't believe
it took 3 tries to learn that they don't work. This one did not end up in the
trees, as after I realized it was incapable of performing the soldering task,
it
accidentally found its way under the wheels of the dually truck when I backed
up. Perhaps I should send Weller all the parts......

Think the best is as many have said - the butane solution.

Does anyone have an old D-440 (circa 1970's, early 80's)??

Have a great day & 73,
                Tom Schiller, N6BT
                President, Force 12, Inc.
                        Amateur Antennas, Commercial Towers & Antennas
                P.O. Box 1349 Paso Robles, CA  93447
                Phone: 805.227.1680   FAX 805.227.1684
                Web Site: http://www.QTH.com/force12