[TowerTalk] 'Plumbing' tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 'Plumbing' tower?
From: brian_smithson@vds.com (Brian Smithson)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 08:32:28 -0400
Hi all!

I just took delivery the other day of a Trylon 72' and I'm getting ready
to dig, etc. I have a question about making sure the tower is plumb.

The hole will be roughly a 6' cube. The tower comes with heavy
brackets that go on the legs of the bottom tower section that get
embedded in the concrete. I plan to stack cinder blocks in the hole
to the right height so that when the bottom section with the brackets
sits on the blocks, the heights are right, etc.

My question is, how do I make sure the thing will be plumb? Is
making sure the cinder blocks are level with each other enough?
The tower section tapers, so checking each leg for vertical won't
work. I thought I might be able to check the level of the top of the
tower section (where the rest of the tower connects) for level,
but that will be 8' up in the air and the whole thing will be sitting
in the hole, so it might be hard to get up there to check it.

I didn't see much about this on KA9FOX's excellent web site (he
put up the same kind of tower).

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

73, Brian

Brian Smithson