[TowerTalk] Cushcraft baluns / lousy customer service

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft baluns / lousy customer service
From: grimm@lynchburg.net (Kenneth D. Grimm)
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 15:39:43 -0500
Ed Gilbert wrote:

> >  Sorry, I just dont trust the COILED COAX idea, plus its a WHOLE lot of
> extra weight and windload on the end of a 402CD antenna.
> >

> A few years ago I wound a bunch of coax choke baluns and measured their
> effectiveness with an HP vector impedance meter.  I wrote up the results,
> and that paper is on the web at
>
> http://www.berkshire.net/~robbins/technote/airbalun.html
>
> Coax choke baluns do indeed work very well.  You can look at the numbers
> yourself and draw your own conclusions.
>
> 73, Ed K2SQ (ex WA2SRQ)

Hello Ed,
Several years ago, on the basis of your article, I threw away all my
BN-86s which were constantly giving trouble and retired the W2DU baluns
that had generally worked OK, but were getting a little old.  The TVI
and telephone interference that had led me to use baluns in the first
place were just as "gone" with the coax chokes as they were with the
troublesome commercial jobs.  That was all the proof that I needed.

However, I'm not sure that your coax chokes would effectively replace
balums or baloons. :-)

Ken K4XL
grimm@lynchburg.net
BoatAnchor Manual Archive - ftp://bama.sbc.edu