[TowerTalk] TIC Pot replacement/wind loading, Rohn, et al.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TIC Pot replacement/wind loading, Rohn, et al.
From: rodman@acsu.buffalo.edu (D. Rodman, MD)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 06:57:41 -0500 (EST)
Barry, I have several TIC rings and have replaced the pots over time.  I
think you are trying to do too much.  I would advocate purchasing a spare
motor, set the current ring to N and the new motor to N then do the swap.
It will now be easier to do what you have to do on the ground.

Short of this, you have to measure the new pot on an ohmmeter to assure it
is centered.  Small tools are necessary to remove the (plastic) gears,
including a small hex wrench.  Pre-point your antenna to N and then
disassemble the potentiometer.  I do not recall this is particularly
difficult, however the plastic gears do have to be removed and you need to
be prepared to do it.  Obviously, when you are 100 ft up the tower,
everything is longer and you really need to be sure all your tools are
ready, including a way to change the wires without resoldering if
possible.

Rohn has several structural engineering programs to accomplish modeling of
their antennas.  What amateurs and the general community could really use
is an interactive program that accomplishes wind calculation analyses.
There is no substitute for an engineering stamp as a seal of approval.
Granted, the community has an excellent imperical feeling for what can and
can not be done.  This is a wonderful place to voice issues and get
advice, but I have not seen any PE comming forward and offering assistance
ever.  A program would be an excellent learning tool, but it would still
not be a substitute for engineering expertise.

David J. Rodman, MD
Assistant Clinical Professor
Department of Ophthalmology
State University of New York at Buffalo