[TowerTalk] Attaching coax shield to the tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Attaching coax shield to the tower
From: grimm@lynchburg.net (Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL)
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 09:57:25 -0500
Mark S Graalman wrote:

>   I put a PL-259 to PL-259 splice at the tower base, then clamp a copper
> ground strap around the splice and tie the ground strap to the
> tower base and ground system. Right AFTER the grounding point
> on the coax I put a 5 turn selenoid coil in the coax about 8" in
> diameter.
>  I don't tie the feed line to the tower at the top.
>
> Mark WB8JKR

This is the same method I use.  While I have had lightning damage to
trees less than 25 feet from the tower (which is much higher) I've had
no damage in the shack.  Your milage may vary, but this seems to work
very well for me.
Ken K4XL
grimm@lynchburg.net
BoatAnchor Manual Archive - ftp://bama.sbc.edu