[TowerTalk] Finding the height of trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Finding the height of trees
From: rhodes@willinet.net (Jim Rhodes)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 23:20:28 -0500
Now, it has been more than a few years since I was a boy scout. But the
trick we used was to stand a pereson of known height next to the tree or
whatever, then back off a approximately a couple of times the heighth of
the tree, hold a pencil or similar object at arms length and mark the
hieghth of the person with your fingers such that the length of the pencil
visible above your fingers appears to be the same heighth as the person.
then use that length to count how many times the heighth of the person the
tree is. Takes a lot longer to explain without pictures than to do. A stick
or board of about 5 ft length could be substituted for the second person.

At 10:25 PM 4/19/99 -0500, you wrote:

>There has to be some little "rule of thumb" to estimate the height of
>trees - any help?  I sorta remember some things about 30-60 right
>triangles etc, but for example, I've heard the Boy Scouts have some neat
>little trick to get an easy estimate.  Anyone have a suggestion?
>Simple, pleez!  Tnx!

Jim Rhodes KC0XU
rhodes@willinet.net