[TowerTalk] Finding the height of trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Finding the height of trees
From: spelunk.sueno@cwix.com (spelunk.sueno)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 19:40:11 -0400
John:

      The only height-measuring trick I remember from the Boy Scouts is the
following.  Move some distance away from the tree (the illustration in The
Manual of Scouting shows the scout far enough away so that the tree subtends
maybe a ten-degree vertical angle of view.)  Hold a pencil, etc at arm's
length in front of you with your thumbnail even with the base of the tree
and the tip of the pencil even with the top of the tree.  Turn your wrist
(and the pencil) ninety degrees so that the pencil  appears to lie on the
ground, still keeping your thumbnail at the tree bottom.  Have someone stand
where the tip of the pencil is (or pick a landmark you can use instead).
The distance from the base of the tree to your buddy or the landmark is the
height of thre tree (sort of).

-Gene Smar  AD3F
spelunk.sueno@cwix.com